Stuart Silverstein Experience Strategist/Designer

  • We conducted around 100 interviews on various studies to create Strawman personas to evaluate product ideas.
  • Checkout flow which included gift cards, stored value and revised checkout and CTA's
  • Updated movie detail wireframe
  • Updated checkout Axure prototype
  • Checkout Screen
  • Movie Detail Screen Movie Detail screen included discounted pricing and sitewide promotions.
  • Previous iterations Previous iterations of movie detail and checkout.

M-GO (Technicolor)

e-Commerce strategy

M-GO was having issues with completion of transactions and was looking to improve customer acquisition prior to doing a big marketing push. Furthermore, the product team was in need of information on who the user base was in order to make design decisions. We worked up a several month plan to address both issues, as well as customer conversion, gift card redemption, loyalty points and an ever changing array of platform wide promotions.

The first challenge was the lack of data. There were inconsistent results on remote usability tests, which was a result of this gap in knowledge. There was no qualitative data on users, which made testing difficult, since we did not know who exactly to test. There was also a gap in analytics insight as the platform wasn’t fully functional. In order for us to address conversion concerns, we had to know who was coming to the site, and what they knew about on demand VOD, and terms like “ultraviolet” which showed up as potential blockers in usability tests. There were also issues with installation of the player, which we had to prepare the user for prior to the technology fix.

First we had to get some infrastructure in place for validation and educate team members on how it can help conversion. At the same time we conducted some quantitative work to little by little complete our personas. We did this in tandem with customer acquisition/user journey maps, as well as design iterations for the commerce process.

Discovery was a multi path endeavor. We needed to map out the current process. Next, we combed the backlog for 3 to 4 months of projects to see what would effect the design. We started to do some initial testing on other projects to create infrastructure for testing, as well as accumulate data for our personas, adding some ethnographic questions to our short remote usability tests. We conducted contextual inquiries as part of another study. We then added 3 different quantitative studies to get larger sample sizes on views and opinions. Finally we mapped out the results, which included user stores, bubble charts of goals and desires and demographics of 8 segments.

On the design front, we mapped out the user flows for all products of the commerce piece. We tried several iterations and prototypes of solutions, finally arriving at the one which both tested the best, and we felt addressed all the issues from our previous inquiries. Because of the significant impact to the flow and the timeline, the new designs had to address the next 4 months of releases, which included gift cards and sitewide promotion deployment. As part of the exercise a key goal was to create a checkout and promotion process that would be extensible for the future, as the current checkout was not.

The solution came with updates to the cart/checkout templates, as well as the movie detail page. We gave a special spot on the page for applicable offers, as well as indicated any discounts and the amount of money saved. We also limited the CTA options to “Buy” or “Rent." We added a “mini-cart” to keep tally of all costs and discounts, as well as gift card credits. Finally, we created a modified template which included a way to use the same structure for all pages, only updating key info. Combined with the improvements to sign up, the first phase of this endeavor improved  conversion by 49%.

Quantitative Research, Ethnographic Research, Usability Testsing, Information Architecture and Interaction Design.

close